Gelila Assefa is an Ethiopian fashion designer as well as a philanthropist who came to the media spotlight as the wife of an Austrian-American chef, restaurateur, and actor, Wolfgang Puck.
Gelila Assefa entered this world in the year 1970 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to Ethiopian parents. As of 2019, Assefa’s age is 49 years old. Her father is reportedly a businessman while her mother was an air stewardess in Ethiopian Airlines.
Gelila holds an Ethiopian nationality while she belongs to an African ethnical background.
She attended the Los Angeles Trade Technical College.
Who is Gelila Assefa’s Husband?
Her husband, Wolfgang Puck is an Austrian-American chef, restaurateur, as well as an actor who is widely famous for his signature dish, the House Smoked Salmon Pizza.
- At the beginning of his career, he moved to France where he was able to do some work in some renowned restaurants such as Maxim’s, the Hotel de Paris, and the Michelin 3-starred L’Oustau de Baumaniere.
- Later, he decided to move to the United States to explore newer avenues.
- Further, his career saw an upsurge and soon he found himself the part-owner of Ma Maison in West Hollywood.
- In the year 1982, he opened his own restaurant Spago on West Hollywood on the Sunset Strip.
- In the year 1983, he opened another restaurant Chinois on Main in Santa Monica.
- Further, he founded the Wolfgang Puck Companies which includes the Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group, Wolfgang Puck Catering, as well as Wolfgang Puck Worldwide, Inc.
- We can see him in various tv shows such as Iron Chef America: Battle of the Masters, Cooking Class with Wolfgang Puck on The Food Network, as well as in the American Idol season finale episode.
- Also, he appeared on Season 7 of MasterChef as a guest judge.
- Further, he appeared in an episode of Tales from the Crypt.
- He appeared in a TV commercial advertising the state of California.
Awards & Achievements
- In the year 2002, his show, Wolfgang Puck received Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Service Show.
- Next year, the show received Emmy for Best Direction for Service Show.
- In the year 2005, his restaurant Spago in Beverly Hills received a James Beard Foundation Outstanding Service Award.
- In 2008 and 2009, The Los Angeles Michelin Guide awarded the restaurant two Michelin star.
- Further, he was presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award by James Beard Foundation in the year 2012.
- In the year 2013, he was inducted into the Culinary Hall of Fame.
Gelila Assefa’s Career
Her design sagacity stood her out as she got her internship with popular Galanos whose clothes were worn by famous Hollywood stars. Apart from her fashion designing career, she is the founder of Dream For Future Africa Foundation which is dedicated to providing opportunity and equity for those most in need in Africa.
As of now, she is more focused on her handbag line which includes simple, classic bags. After that, she provided name to her fashion brand called Gelila Style.
For more than a decade, she has been active in supporting women’s global health initiatives and the advancement of orphaned children in Africa. She currently serves on the Board of Trustees in the Children’s Institute of Los Angeles.
Awards & Honors
Essence Magazine, BMW, and VERTU have honored her for her philanthropic work. Further, she received the 2009 Champion of Children Award from the Children’s Institute of Los Angeles.
What is the Net Worth of Gelila Assefa’s Husband?
Her husband, Wolfgang Puck has an estimated net worth of around $90 million as of 2019. As per some online resources, a fashion designer is entitled to the average salary of $62.86k per month and $20.46 per hour.
Married Life With Wolfgang Puck
Gelila Assefa is a happily married woman. She tied the wedding to her husband, Wolfgang Puck on 7th July 2007. They first met in Los Angeles in the year 1997 and started dating each other. After dating for some years, they finally tied the wedding knot in an intimate wedding.
They gave birth to two sons, Oliver Wolfgang and Alexander Wolfgang. Previously, her husband, Puck was married to Marie France Trouillot from 1975 to 1980. Also, he married interior designer Barbara Lazaroff from 1983 to 2001. As of now, Gelila and Wolfgang are living a happy and blissful life together.
Height and Weight
Gelila Assefa stands at a tall height of 5 feet 8 inches while her body weight is around 62 kg. Assefa’s both hair and eyes are dark brown in color.
Gelila is only active on her private Instagram account which holds around 3.06k followers.
Facts of Gelila Assefa
|Full Name||Gelila Assefa|
|Date Of Birth||1970|
|Age||50 years 0 months|
|Place Of Birth||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Height||5 feet 8 inches|
|Profession||Fashion Designer and Philanthropist|
|Education||the Los Angeles Trade Technical College|
|Spouse||Wolfgang Puck (2007)|
|Children||Oliver Wolfgang and Alexander Wolfgang|
|Gelila Assefa Instagram|